This article is somewhat different from other items I have written, I tend to write about specific procedures, the benefits of the procedure and how they are performed. However today I came across an interesting article about the reasons why patients choose to have surgery.
Cosmetic Surgery is often connected to vanity however there are many reasons why patients choose surgery and the results can often be life changing. We live in a nation where looking good is important, we pay to visit the gym and stay healthy but there are sometimes alternative reasons why surgery is an option and there are many examples of this.
- Blepharoplasty is a procedure to remove sagging skin from the eyelid area, Sir Alan Sugar is an example of someone who chose this procedure for more medical reasons. Back in 2007, the 59-year-old electronics tycoon had the operation because of vision problems, A qualified pilot, he explained that droopy skin overhanging his eyelids was threatening to block his sight and stop him pursuing his hobby of flying Learjets. Affected vision is a common symptom that patients describe when attending consultation, corrective surgery is usually minor and can often be carried out under local anaesthetic as a daycase patient.
- Breast Enlargement is the most popular procedure sought by patients either for reconstructive (following mastectomy) or cosmetic reasons. Enhancement surgery is common amongst women who have naturally small breasts or who have lost volume and size due to weight loss or breastfeeding. Breast size can affect body image and confidence and in some cases deter individuals from going about day to day life for example swimming and wearing closer fitting clothes. Breast Enlargement is performed by placing an implant either on top of the muscle or behind depending on the look the patient wishes to achieve and can give the patient their confidence back.
- Breast Reduction is one of the most life changing procedures I carry out, patients with larger and sometimes pendulous breasts can often suffer with back pain which can lead to posture issues, inability to find comfortable underwear and can cause some ladies embarrassment. Breast Reduction surgery is major surgery as in some cases it can involve taking away large amounts of fat, glandular tissue and skin. Following surgery women report to feel increased confidence and most importantly a new feeling of comfort that was unknown before surgery.
- Male Breast Reduction / Gynaecomastia sometimes referred to as ‘man boobs’ can be an embarrassing condition for men to live with. It is provoked by an imbalance of the hormones Oestrogen and Testosterone and can vary from small, firm enlargement of breast tissue just behind the nipple to a larger, more female-looking breast. Males suffering with Gynaecomastia can sometimes be deterred from going to the gym or being seen shirtless as the condition often affects body confidence. Depending on severity Gynaecomastia can be treated in two ways, either with liposuction alone or if required with a combination of excision and liposuction to result in a smooth chest contour.
- Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty is a very common procedure particularly for women who have had children and men or women who have lost weight. Pregnancy and weight loss can leave excess skin and fat around the abdomen which cannot be shifted by exercise or diet alone, it can make certain clothes uncomfortable to wear and affect body image. An Abdominoplasty is major surgery and involves the removal of fat and skin from the area, giving the abdomen a smoother effect and should only be considered once weight loss has stabilised and a females family is complete.
This article outlines only a small number of the conditions that affect patients that make the decision to have surgery, however there are many more. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure please visit one of my clinics in Warwick, Coventry or Nuneaton. To make an appointment you can call 07468 418 419 or visit my website for more information www.alanjpark.com