A new year is a time for reflection and some of the leading commentators on the aesthetic industry have released their annual reviews, looking back on the previous 12 months as well as making cosmetic surgery predictions for the future.
Cosmetic surgery in the future
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery recently released their cosmetic surgery predictions for the upcoming year and beyond. Interestingly, while we have seen a steady growth in ‘non-surgical’ aesthetic treatments in recent years, ASAPS believe that this trend will start to reverse over the next ten years.
Partly, this will be due to advances in more minimally invasive surgical techniques with less downtime, but also the realisation on the part of patients that surgical procedures will produce the longest or even permanent results, unlike many of their non-surgical alternatives.
Another interesting cosmetic surgery prediction is that there will be a move towards a more ‘refined and subtle’ aesthetic enhancement rather than a more obvious ‘done’ look, such as smaller breast implants or even fat transfer to the breasts.
Most researched cosmetic surgery procedures in 2018
Another report released this month is The RealSelf 2018 Aesthetics Trend Report from leading online aesthetic review site RealSelf. The report found that millions of consumers in the US and around the world were researching minimally invasive procedures, particularly injectables, was fast growing, but interest in cosmetic surgery procedures remains high.
- Breast Augmentation: still the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure around the world, a breast augmentation procedure enhances the shape and/or size of the breasts with implants.
- Tummy Tuck: whether due to pregnancy, weight fluctuations or ageing changes to the body, it can be challenging to shape up the abdomen area without surgical intervention. A tummy tuck will tighten the abdominal muscles, remove excess skin and fat and reshape the abdomen area.
- Brazilian Butt Lift: this procedure has been the focus of much media attention in recent months which might explain why it’s on the most researched cosmetic surgery procedure. Sadly, there have been a number of cases where patients have underwent a Brazilian Butt Lift and died of complications afterwards and we would warn anyone considering this highly risky procedure to think again.
- Rhinoplasty: a procedure to reshape and/or resize the nose. It can be combined with a septoplasty to improve breathing function.
- Liposuction: despite the increase in fat reduction aesthetic treatments which promise great results with minimal downtime, liposuction is still a very popular procedure to remove stubborn pockets of fat and reshape the body.
- Eyelid Surgery: known medically as a blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery is a very popular anti-ageing procedure which can produce fantastic rejuvenation results.
- Breast Reduction: for women who have struggled for many years with overly large breasts, a breast reduction can produce a significant improvement in quality of life.
- Mommy Makeover: this is a term popular in the media, but merely refers to cosmetic surgery to improve the appearance of the body and breasts after pregnancy. Typically, it means a combination of the tummy tuck and breast uplift procedures, but your suitability for both procedures will be discussed during your consultation.
- Facelift: although non-surgical aesthetic treatments, particularly injectables, are becoming increasingly popular, there is a limit to what they can achieve and for some patients, a facelift is better able to realise their expectations.
- Breast Lift: this cosmetic breast procedure restores a more youthful appearance to the breast by lifting and reshaping the breast tissue.
If you are interested in any of the cosmetic surgery procedures discussed here, please call 01926 436341 to arrange a consultation.